Contact Us



PO Box 5390
Stafford Heights QLD 4053

Online Enquiry

* Required fields

The Guzzler

Posted By Matthew Boyd  

 The Guzzler Ultra is Brisbane’s very own trail ultra; presented by The Trail Co. and made possible by Brissie’s thriving trail running community. 99% trails and 100% fun, you’ll run past Brisbane’s oldest reservoirs in the order they were built. Along the way, you’ll be well looked after by the wonderful, crazy and energetic groups that populate Brisbane’s trail scene.”

This is how The Guzzler website describes the event.


To break it down you have a bunch of mad keen runners, that set out over 3 different course lengths, 100km, 50km and 21km. The 100km taking some runners nearly 28hrs to complete.

So why is our club doing a trip to The Guzzler?

We went to provide 4wd support the event for the weekend. Lance, Chris, Dazee, David (Care Officer from the Association) and myself.

It was a early start Saturday, meeting at Gold Creek res at 630am to collect keys and signage for cars. Lance and myself head off to drive the 100km from Gold Creek to Lightline Bush camp via Lake Manchester to check that the course marking were still intact.

Dave, Dazee and Chris headed to the check point at Hell Hole, to await the runners and provide any help that we could provide.

The tracks within the South D’Aguilar National Park are well maintained fire tracks. A few nice little inclines, a handful of nice creek crossings, and a lot of amazing scenery. I see now why my mountain biking and hiking friends love their time in here.

Once Lance and I completed the drive to Lightline Bush Camp (near Mt Nebo) we then made our way to meet up with Chris and David at Lelands Corner.

Dazee was parked up at Hell Hole assisting in moving the volunteers form the various running clubs that were manning the check point at Hell Hole and assisting the first aiders if any runners needed help out to the first aid station.


Not to long after arriving at Lelands Corner, we were informed of a runner about 2km back along the course that was in distress, we started backtracking along the course until we found the runner, who was cramping badly. Once we loaded him into my car we turned around and made our way back via Lelands Corner to the first aid area at The Barracks just below Jolly’s Lookout. After dropping him off, I returned to Lelands Corner.

By this stage Chris had left, David was making his way to Lake Manchester and Lance was about to leave. I received a call from the event director asking if I could drive back along the course towards Gold Creek Res looking for the sweepers of the 100km event. The sweepers are volunteers that follow along behind the last runner from one check point to the next. They also remove all the course markings so as to leave the National Park the way it was before the event. What had happened was the sweepers were not told that the last runner had left Gold Creek Res and were 90 minutes behind the last runners. It took a bit to find them, but we eventually found them. By this time the sun had set and temps were dropping. It took at bit of convincing to get the sweepers to sit in a warm car to follow the last runners, but they eventually warmed to staying in the car. We followed the last 2 runners into Lake Manchester, collecting all the track markings along the way. We arrived at Lake Manchester around 8pm. Here I met David who had stayed for awhile to make sure nothing was needed whilst I was following the last runners. After having a bit to eat and checking with the event director I left Lake Manchester and started my way to Lightline Bush Camp the next check point. My instructions were to drive past runners, check on their condition and report to the check point co Ordinator the number of runners left on course.


Arriving at the check point at around 10:30pm I was asked to transport a runner back to the start finish area at Mt Coot-tha. So after a quick coffee was made we loaded to runner up and headed out to Mt Nebo and down the hill to Coot-tha. By now it was near midnight and some down time was needed. Checked in with the race director and said I was heading back to Jolly’s lookout to throw the swag out and get some sleep. At the check point I left them now I was here, along with the first aid group and to wake me if I was need.

Waking up at around 6am to cheers and clapping could only mean one thing, the last runners were going through the check point. Time to get up, roll up swag which is very hard to do in 30 to 40km/h winds. I headed to the start of the 21km event just below Jolly’s Lookout to meet Tim the race director.

Once the 21km runners were off, Tim asked if I could go out to Hell Hole where Dazee was and once the last 100km runner was through, pack up the timing mats and return them to the finish area,

By the time I got to Hell Hole the runners had passed me, we packed up and headed to the finish area, handed the mats in and headed home for some well earned sleep.

It was a pleasure to help these runners and organizers over the weekend, and to drive in a place that we don’t get access to. Looking forward to helping again next year and getting a few more cars in to provide support.